• News News
  • Popular
  • Recent
    Chevrolet and Manchester United
    One World Futbol Project

GM Thailand Powertrain Joins GM Global Manufacturing As a Landfill-Free Facility

GM Thailand’s ‘Landfill-Free’ Powertrain Plant conserves resources, while building employee pride

  • 97 percent of waste materials are recycled or reused; the remainder is converted to energy or incinerated
  • GM has met its global sustainability goal to certify at least 100 of its manufacturing facilities as ‘landfill-free’ before 2020
  • GM plants monitor, measure and report monthly on their waste-reduction performance

Bangkok – By achieving and maintaining “landfill-free status,” GM Powertrain Thailand employees are making an important contribution to GM’s global environmental initiative to reduce waste at GM plants around the world, while helping conserve Thailand’s natural resources.

Around 97% of the waste generated from everyday manufacturing operations at GM “zero-landfill” plants is recycled or reused, and the remaining 3% is converted to energy.

The Rayong site is GM’s first landfill-free operation of 2013; 30 of the company’s overseas plants have now attained zero-landfill status.

GM has set a sustainability goal to certify 100 operations as “landfill-free” by 2020. The company is ahead of schedule, with 105 facilities both manufacturing and non-manufacturing worldwide already meeting this target.

"We're committed to reducing our environmental impact: in Thailand and around the world," said David Clarkson, Vice President – Powertrain, General Motors Thailand and Southeast Asia. “Our employees in Rayong deserve credit for their enthusiasm and effort to achieve ‘landfill-free’ status. The GM Powertrain team has worked hard to meet this goal on behalf of Thailand and the entire GM global manufacturing community. They are clearly dedicated to environmental sustainability.”

GM Thailand’s Environmental Services group is responsible for the management and reduction of all waste and manufacturing by-products, recycling and re-using as much of the material as possible.

GM Powertrain Thailand, the producer of the efficient Duramax diesel engine, has been working to achieve landfill-free status since the plant opened in 2011. Today, the facility recycles 50% of all solid waste, including metal filings and chips, cafeteria waste, office materials and general trash.

GM recycles more waste from its worldwide facilities than any other automaker. At all of GM’s worldwide manufacturing facilities combined — landfill-free and all others — 90 percent of the waste is recycled or reused, on average. Every GM site is serious about finding ways to reduce and reuse waste.

“In 2011, GM recycled or reused 2.6 million metric tons at its facilities worldwide,” said Clarkson. “Our landfill-free program strengthens our business by creating efficiencies, generating revenue and inspiring innovation with products made from recycled content. Every member of our team contributes to this initiative.”

GM has recently earned the highest recognition a corporation can receive from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – the 2013 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence award for energy management. In 2012, GM improved the energy efficiency of U.S. operations by 11 percent over 2011, and saved USD 20 million in energy costs. The 280,000 metric tons of avoided carbon dioxide emissions is equivalent to annual emissions from 52,900 passenger vehicles.

Generating waste, such as scrap metal, paint sludge or shipping materials, is unavoidable for a car manufacturer as large as GM. But General Motors is constantly finding innovative ways to re-use and recycle manufacturing by-products and waste.

GM plants monitor, measure and report monthly on how they perform against waste-reduction goals. This data, which set the stage for the landfill-free initiative, shows what materials are being generated, reused and recycled, and reveals areas for improvement. This forms the basis for a waste-reduction process that enables facilities to replicate global best practices.

GM Powertrain Thailand is working closely with its suppliers and logistics providers to share these environmental best practices and promote sustainable environmental management processes throughout the supply chain.

In Thailand, GM also demonstrates its commitment to sustainability every year by participating in conservation activities for World Environmental day (every June 5th).

For more information about General Motors environmental commitment and initiatives, please visit: http://www.gm.com/vision/environment1.html